Launched by IPC in May 1978, Sci-fi comic Starlord was intended to be a companion comic to 2000 AD. After only 22 issues the two comics merged.
The character of Starlord himself was a humanoid alien who had escaped the “Interstellar Federation” to warn readers that the Earth was under threat and a crash course in interstellar survival offered the only hope.
The comic’s stories were thus presented as “Starlord Survival Blueprints” while a range of six badges given away with issue #1 were “Starlord Star-Squad Equipment”.
“Remember troopers, stick with me!” urged Starlord ”and watch the stars!”
Popular strips and characters included;
- Mind Wars – two psychic teenagers in the middle of a galactic war
- Planet of the Damned – a passenger jet vanishes in the Bermuda Triangle and the passengers find themselves on a hostile alien world
- Ro-Busters – a robot disaster rescue squad
- Strontium Dog – stories of mutant bounty hunter Johnny Alpha in the year 2180
- Timequake – future adventures with an organisation called ‘Time Control’