The first pictures of British Motor Corporation’s new mini-car were released in August 1959.
The compact four-seater, invented by Alec Issigonis, achieved roominess by placing the four small wheels at the corners and mounting the engine sideways in front.
The interior was austere with pull strings to open the two doors and sliding fitment of the front door windows. Instruments were also sparse.
The boot-lid was hinged at the bottom, forming a platform for a surprising amount of luggage.
The body design was essentially practical, with door hinges exposed and styling minimal. But the car sat low on the road and gave a stable ride.
The economical little car initially cost around £500.